Railways suspends train operations due to fog
New Delhi: Northern Railway has decided to suspend services of 10 trains till January 16 to avoid mishaps caused by foggy weather conditions.
Services of Jharkhand Sampark Kranti Express, Howrah- Delhi Express, Lichchavi Express, Garhwal Express, Varanasi- Dehradun and Ajmer-Amritsar Express among others will remain cancelled till January 16, according to a senior Northern Railway official.
Besides, Railways has also effected partial cancellation of three pairs of trains and diverted two pairs to avoid passenger inconvenience during the period.
The foggy conditions during the winter season pose a great challenge to the Railways, especially in the northern region of the country in terms of operations and safety, the official said.
He said in view of safety of trains and passengers, the speed of trains has been restricted to minimum. 12 trains were running several hours late due to fog.
Bramhaputra Mail is running behind schedule by 15 hours, while Mahananda and Mahabodhi Express are running late by 12 hours each, inconveniencing passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest