Railways` Tatkal scheme earns Rs 600 cr in last fiscal
New Delhi: Indian Railways have earned over Rs 600 crore during the last fiscal from tatkal tickets, with Northern Railways topping other zones with the best earning from this scheme.
Of the Railways` total earning of Rs 605.48 crore, the Northern Railway shared Rs 144.50 crore, which was 13 percent of the total tickets sold, official sources said.
They said earnings this fiscal is expected to cross the figures of the last financial year, expecting a good response from the revised tatkal scheme, which came into effect from August 1, 2009 with more relaxations.
"Boarding at intermediate stations, which hitherto was non-existent, will further boost income from this scheme," a source said.
Tickets worth Rs 221.59 crore have already been sold under the scheme in the first quarter of this financial year, the source said.
As per the revised scheme, the advanced reservation period has also been reduced to two days from five days a week.
The source also said the Railways have registered a Rs 1,000 crore cumulative income from this scheme in the last three years.
During the first quarter of this financial year, the Northern Railway has also topped the zones by selling tatkal tickets over Rs 54 crore.
Among the other zones, Southern, Western and Central Zones also saw a good return from sale of tickets under the tatkal scheme.
While, the Southern Railway earned Rs 89.73 crore, the Western Railway and the Central Railway earned Rs 70.40 crore and Rs 67.57 crore respectively.
Estimates suggest as many as one lakh berths are reserved under tatkal scheme at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!