Railways` Tatkal scheme earns Rs 600 cr in last fiscal
New Delhi: Indian Railways have earned over Rs 600 crore during the last fiscal from tatkal tickets, with Northern Railways topping other zones with the best earning from this scheme.
Of the Railways` total earning of Rs 605.48 crore, the Northern Railway shared Rs 144.50 crore, which was 13 percent of the total tickets sold, official sources said.
They said earnings this fiscal is expected to cross the figures of the last financial year, expecting a good response from the revised tatkal scheme, which came into effect from August 1, 2009 with more relaxations.
"Boarding at intermediate stations, which hitherto was non-existent, will further boost income from this scheme," a source said.
Tickets worth Rs 221.59 crore have already been sold under the scheme in the first quarter of this financial year, the source said.
As per the revised scheme, the advanced reservation period has also been reduced to two days from five days a week.
The source also said the Railways have registered a Rs 1,000 crore cumulative income from this scheme in the last three years.
During the first quarter of this financial year, the Northern Railway has also topped the zones by selling tatkal tickets over Rs 54 crore.
Among the other zones, Southern, Western and Central Zones also saw a good return from sale of tickets under the tatkal scheme.
While, the Southern Railway earned Rs 89.73 crore, the Western Railway and the Central Railway earned Rs 70.40 crore and Rs 67.57 crore respectively.
Estimates suggest as many as one lakh berths are reserved under tatkal scheme at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!