Railways` Tatkal scheme earns Rs 600 cr in last fiscal
New Delhi: Indian Railways have earned over Rs 600 crore during the last fiscal from tatkal tickets, with Northern Railways topping other zones with the best earning from this scheme.
Of the Railways` total earning of Rs 605.48 crore, the Northern Railway shared Rs 144.50 crore, which was 13 percent of the total tickets sold, official sources said.
They said earnings this fiscal is expected to cross the figures of the last financial year, expecting a good response from the revised tatkal scheme, which came into effect from August 1, 2009 with more relaxations.
"Boarding at intermediate stations, which hitherto was non-existent, will further boost income from this scheme," a source said.
Tickets worth Rs 221.59 crore have already been sold under the scheme in the first quarter of this financial year, the source said.
As per the revised scheme, the advanced reservation period has also been reduced to two days from five days a week.
The source also said the Railways have registered a Rs 1,000 crore cumulative income from this scheme in the last three years.
During the first quarter of this financial year, the Northern Railway has also topped the zones by selling tatkal tickets over Rs 54 crore.
Among the other zones, Southern, Western and Central Zones also saw a good return from sale of tickets under the tatkal scheme.
While, the Southern Railway earned Rs 89.73 crore, the Western Railway and the Central Railway earned Rs 70.40 crore and Rs 67.57 crore respectively.
Estimates suggest as many as one lakh berths are reserved under tatkal scheme at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest