Railways to install fire & smoke detection system in coaches
New Delhi: Keeping passengers` safety in mind, Railways have planned to install a comprehensive fire and smoke detection system in about 500 coaches on a trial basis during this financial year following the successful test of the technology.
The system would be among a host of technologies that it has lined up to minimise loss of life and properties in case of any mishap.
Fire-related incidents have claimed a number of lives in the recent past. Figures indicate that between March and September 2009 alone, 14 cases of fire in coaches have been
reported, out of which six cases were solely on account of electrical failure.
According to sources in Railways, they have "planned to have the system installed in 20 rakes during this financial year," which comes to about 500 coaches to test its efficacy
on a variety of coaches.
The Research Design and Standards Organisation earlier tested the system in one rake of the New Delhi-Bhubaneswar Rajdhani Express comprising 18 LHB AC coaches.
Trials on this rake were on since November 2009 and the "system was reported to be working satisfactorily," sources said. They said the unit cost per coach for such a system was found to be around Rs two lakh.
The move comes even as Railway Board has ordered a safety drive for 21 days on a number of items related to safety of pantry cars after it expressed concern over "inadequate emphasis" being given by zonal railways in setting up a system for preventive action against fire in pantry cars.
It has also observed that the generator cars of its flagship trains like Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto trains are most vulnerable to fire.
One of the cars of Rajdhani express was gutted in a fire incident at Rajendra Nagar Terminal on March 8 last year.
During the same month, a blaze was also noticed in the pantry car of Patna Rajdhani express in Mughalsarai station.
On June six last year, three coaches of the empty rake of 3240 Mathura-Patna express caught fire at Mathura Railway station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'