Railways to name train after Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Railways is likely to name one of the new trains announced on Wednesday by Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal after the Delhi gang-rape victim.
According to sources, the railway ministry could make a formal announcement soon that the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express (weekly) will be named either `Nirbhaya` or `Beti` after the girl.
The train will pass through Ballia, which is the hometown of the girl, they said.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was raped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus here on December 16 last year. She was admitted to a Singapore hospital where she succumbed on December 29.
Bansal, while replying to railway debate in Parliament today, announced introduction of 19 more trains, including the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express.
Sources said railways had received representations from the local leaders in Ballia for a train connecting the national capital to their town and naming it after the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday