Railways to name train after Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Railways is likely to name one of the new trains announced on Wednesday by Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal after the Delhi gang-rape victim.
According to sources, the railway ministry could make a formal announcement soon that the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express (weekly) will be named either `Nirbhaya` or `Beti` after the girl.
The train will pass through Ballia, which is the hometown of the girl, they said.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was raped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus here on December 16 last year. She was admitted to a Singapore hospital where she succumbed on December 29.
Bansal, while replying to railway debate in Parliament today, announced introduction of 19 more trains, including the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express.
Sources said railways had received representations from the local leaders in Ballia for a train connecting the national capital to their town and naming it after the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred