Railways to name train after Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Railways is likely to name one of the new trains announced on Wednesday by Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal after the Delhi gang-rape victim.
According to sources, the railway ministry could make a formal announcement soon that the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express (weekly) will be named either `Nirbhaya` or `Beti` after the girl.
The train will pass through Ballia, which is the hometown of the girl, they said.
The 23-year-old paramedical student was raped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus here on December 16 last year. She was admitted to a Singapore hospital where she succumbed on December 29.
Bansal, while replying to railway debate in Parliament today, announced introduction of 19 more trains, including the Chhapra-Anand Vihar Express.
Sources said railways had received representations from the local leaders in Ballia for a train connecting the national capital to their town and naming it after the girl.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij