Railways to set up two wind power plants
New Delhi: In a bid to cut down on rising power costs and carbon emissions, Indian Railways is turning to wind power.
The behemoth is setting up two wind mill power plants with a target of generating 21 MW wind power by next year.
"We have finalised plans for setting up two wind mill power plants in Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu at an estimated cost of Rs 140 crores. Both the plants will generate a total of 21 MW power," said a senior Railway Ministry official.
The plants will be set up along the coastal belt of Tamil Nadu and in the desert area of Jaisalmer. Each plant would generate 10.5 MW wind power and cost about Rs 70 crore.
India’s long coastline and vast desert expanses which are endowed with high wind power potentials are best suited for the wind energy generation projects.
Besides reducing the electric consumption, the wind power will also earn us carbon credits, said the official.
Railways consume 5 billion units of power a year and spend about Rs 5,500 on power bills.
"We would supply the power to the grid and it would be adjusted against our power billing," said the official.
Railways are expecting the plants to be operational by next year.
Railways have already made operational a 10.5 MW plant at Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu.
"We had saved about Rs 8 crore on power bills due to this plant," said the official.
Since wind power is eco-friendly, railways are expecting to earn about Rs 1 crore as carbon credits from the wind power ventures.
The largest PSU with 14 lakh employees is going green by channelising its vast resources.
From designing bio-toilets, using bio-diesel and gravity valve technique to cutting down on water wastage, railways are undertaking a series of steps to reduce emissions and global warming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof