Railways to treat women aged 58 as senior citizens from June
New Delhi: Women aged 58 years will be
eligible to avail 50 per cent concession as senior citizens
while men in the category will get a 40 per cent cut in their
train fares from June one.
"As announced in the Railways Budget speech for
2011-12, it has been decided to reduce the minimum age for
availing concession from 60 years to 58 years in case of
women senior citizens. However, the element of concession will
continue to remain at 50 per cent," the Ministry of Railways
said in a release here today.
"It has also been decided to increase the element of
concession in case of senior citizens among men from 30 per
cent to 40 per cent. The minimum age will, however, continue
to be 60 years in case of men," it added.
As per existing provisions, senior citizens aged 60
years and above are eligible for concession in the basic fares
of Mail and Express trains, and all inclusive fares of
Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Jan Shatabdi trains.
The element of concession is 30 per cent for men and
50 per cent for women senior citizens.
The newly announced concession will be admissible on
tickets purchased on and after June 1, but those who have
already purchased tickets for travel on or after June 1, won`t
get any refund, the Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof