Railways with Congress after 16 years
New Delhi: After almost one-and-a-half decade, the key Railway Ministry is back with Congress with Pawan Kumar Bansal becoming the cabinet minister and both the MoS portfolios going to the party.
Congress MPs from West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh - Adhir Ranjan Choudhary and Kotla Jaya Suryaprakash Reddy - were given railway portfolio as Ministers of State in today`s reshuffle.
Road Transport Minister CP Joshi was holding the Railway portfolio as additional charge after the resignation of TMC leader Mukul Roy.
"The priority is to improve the health of the ministry both physical and financial," Bansal said after being given the responsibility of crucial infrastructure ministry.
He said the task of improving the financial health is a larger exercise. "It has to be a larger exercise. It does not have to confine to just increasing fares or freight...That is not only or what the physical or financial health will depend upon," Bansal said.
The last Congress Minister in Railways was Suresh Kalmadi in 1996 during the Narasimha Rao government.
Bansal, who was earlier Water Resources and Parliamentary Affairs Minister, said, "We have to look into many aspects to see if we can cut on expenditures, where we can utilise the resources properly and if necessary how to go about the fare, with the larger objectives of providing services to the people."
There were three Railway Ministers from TMC - Mamata Banerjee, Dinesh Trivedi and Mulkul Roy - during the last three years in the UPA-II regime.
Railway Ministry was with RJD leader Lalu Prasad during 2004-09 period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town