Rain brings relief for power-hit North
New Delhi: Rains inundated most parts of North India keeping temperatures in the region below normal even as water level in Sharda and Ghaghra rivers in Uttar Pradesh breached the danger mark.
Heavy rains proved to be a boon for Delhiites on Tuesday who were suffering from the power outage due to collapse of Northern grid.
The minimum temperature was recorded at 25.4 degree Celsius, one degree below normal.
The rain gauges at the Safdurjung MeT station measured 9.5 mm of showers for a period of 24 hours till 8:30 am while Palam station recorded 56.8 mm during the same period.
Moderate to heavy rains lashed several parts of Western Uttar Pradesh as the monsoon remained active over most of the region during the past 24 hours, the Met officials said.
While Mahroni in Lalitpur district received the highest rainfall of 17 cm, Kunda in Pratapgarh, Bidhuna and Agra received a 3 cm rain each.
Iglas got 5 cm rain, while Meja, Jhansi, Kasganj, Rath, Sahranpur, and Baghpat witnessed 4 cm rainfall each, Met said, adding that Churk, Kanpur, Hapur, Etawah, Moradabad, Sahaswan, Hasanpur, Deoband, Bijnore and Bhogaon received rainfall of 3 cm each.
Meanwhile, the Central Water Commission sources said the Sharda and Ghaghra rivers have crossed the danger mark at Palia Kalan and Elgin Bridge.
Similarly, waters of Ganga and Yamuna rivers are also rising fast at various places including Kannauj, Dalmau, Auraiya and Hamirpur, they said.
Met sources said rain and thundershowers are likely at few places over the west and at one or two places over the eastern districts in the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre