Rains continue in north, alert sounded for Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Many parts of north India including Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh experienced light to moderate rains on Tuesday even as the weatherman predicted heavy rains in the next few days in many places of Uttarakhand where an alert was issued.
The state, which witnessed a devastating disaster last year when thousands of Char Dham yatra pilgrims lost their lives after being caught unawares in the deluge, has warned pilgrims to keep themselves updated on the weather conditions.
The state Disaster Management department has asked pilgrims bound for Himalayan shrines of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri to be prepared as per the MeT department warning, and has been issuing regular weather updates to them, officials said.
Light to moderate rains will lash most places over the next few days but rather heavy to heavy rains may occur in Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Pithoragarh, Champavat, Nainital and Udham Singh Nagar districts, Uttarakhand MeT office director Anand Sharma said.
Uttarkashi received 88 mm of rains today while state capital Dehradun received 64 mm rains.
In Delhi, people continued to experience high level of discomfort due to soaring levels of humidity even as mercury shot up to near-40 degrees Celsius level.
While the maximum temperature was recorded at 39 degrees Celsius, five notches above normal, the minimum settled at 28.5 degrees Celsius, two points above normal.
Humidity maintained high levels as it oscillated between 52 and 85 per cent after rains lashed the city on Sunday.
Light to moderate rainfall occurred at few places in Rajasthan even as heat wave conditions continued to prevail over some parts of the state.
Rainfall occurred at few places in Ajmer and isolated places in the rest of the division. Beawar town in Ajmer recorded 4 cm rainfall followed by Tatgarh, Chaksu, Malpura 3 cm each, and Jaipur 2 cm, according to a Met report.
Churu remained the hottest place recording a maximum of 44.5 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games