Rains in Kerala but Met dept still studying if it is Monsoon
New Delhi: Rains hit Kerala but the Met department Thursday refused to immediately describe it as arrival of the Monsoon which is already late by five days.
"Kerala received good amount of rain today," said Shailesh Nayak, secretary, Ministry of Earth Science.
He, however, added that the Meteorological Department would still take a few more hours and see if the rainfall and conditions fall under the catergory to declare it as the arrival of monsoon.
"Rainfall occurred at many places over Kerala and at a few places over Lakshadweep and North interior Karnataka. Isolated rainfall occurred over Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Rayalaseema, Tamil Nadu, Coastal and South interior Karnataka," the Met department said.
Indian Meterological Department Director General LS Rathore said, "We are still treating this as a pre-monsoon shower. We will be monitoring the situation for the next few hours only after which we will be in a position to declare the arrival of monsoon."
To declare the arrival of monsoon, one of the two important parameters is continuous rain for over 48 hours with a windspeed of 15 to 20 knots, he added.
Monsoon normally hits Kerela on June 1 but this year, Met department had predicted that it will hit the state on June 5. The department had predicted heavy rains and thunderstorms even today.
A late night bulletin of Met department said "conditions are favourable for the onset of southwest monsoon over Kerala and its further advance into some parts of South of Arabian sea, remaining parts of Maldives-Coromin area, some parts of Tamil Nadu and Bay of Bengal during the next 24 hours."
It said, "Conditions are favourable for advance of southwest monsoon in some parts of northeastern states during the next 48 hours."
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4