Raise awareness among migrant labourers: Saudi tells India
Washington: Amid reports of exploitation of
Indian workers by unscrupulous agents and employers in Saudi
Arabia, Riyadh today asked India to raise awareness among its
workers about their rights and obligations before they arrive
in the kingdom for work.
"We urge India to raise the awareness of its workers
before they leave the country for Saudi Arabia, to disseminate
information to the workers what are their obligations and what
are their rights," the Saudi Labour Minister Abdulwahed K
Al-Humaid told PTI here.
Al-Humaid was in Washington to attend the first-ever
meeting of Labour and Employment ministers of the G-20
countries. The two-day conference concluded yesterday.
The minister said that some workers do not know their
rights and thus they are exploited and also put the blame on
the Indian agencies that hire people in India for this kind of
"Before workers come to Saudi Arabia, they sign contract
with the Indian agencies. Agencies give them false
information. They promise them that they will give them
certain salary. And these agencies sign different contract
with employer. So some of the disputes come because we have
two contracts," he observed.
"Whenever I meet Ambassadors from the sending countries,
I urge them to raise the awareness of their workers about
their rights, before they come to Saudi Arabia," he said.
He said that the his Ministry prints brochures in local
languages of these countries and request their embassies in
Saudi Arabia to distribute them to their people before they
come to Saudi Arabia.
"We do not want them to be subject to exploitation due to
lack of information or misunderstanding. Because if I am an
owner of a factory and I sign a contract that the salary for
example is 1,000 Riyal, but the Indian workers sign with the
Indian agency another contract stating that the salary is
2,000 Riyal," he said.
"We have more than two million Indian workers," he said,
adding that this is mutually beneficial for both the
"On the one hand Indian workers are contributing to the
economic development of Saudi Arabia and we appreciate that.
On the other hand, we are offering job opportunities to two
million Indian people. Therefore, we are benefiting the Indian
economy and relieving the unemployment problem in India,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi