Raise Sikh youth unemployment issue in Parliament: Congress leader to PM
New Delhi: Expressing concern over a survey that puts Sikh youths among the most unemployed in the country, a Congress leader has asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to raise the issue in the upcoming Parliament session.
Jagmeet Singh Brar, who was also a former MP, has also sought a meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee to discuss the report of National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO).
"It`s a matter of shame for all of us that the community which made 90 per cent sacrifices during the freedom movement has the highest level of unemployment in their own country," Brar said, adding that many western countries have provided opportunities to youths from Punjab.
"The situation in Punjab is worst as according to surveys 60 per cent youths in the state is on drugs. Such youths constitute 80 per cent of the rural youngsters. The number of Sikh youths in rural areas is above 90 per cent," he claimed.
The former Faridkot MP, who is also a CWC member, has called all Sikh political leaders to come forward and consolidate a `The Turban Consensus Movement` to fight for the rights of Sikhs.
He also asked writers, academicians from the community to join the movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what