Raise substantive issues, don`t go by hearsay: Cong tells BJP
New Delhi: Stepping up attack on the BJP on
the Wikileaks report concerning Arun Jaitley, Congress on Monday
bluntly told the opposition that chickens would come home to
roost sooner than later if it failed to raise substantive
issues and take recourse to hearsay.
"Substantive politics needs to be done on substantive
issues," Congress spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here.
Accusing the BJP of engaging in double speak, Tewari
listed out instances from the reports of Wikileaks revelations
and contended that Opposition leaders had taken a completely
opposite stand to that of its political resolutions while
interacting with US embassy officials.
"The BJP is double-tongued, double-faced and completely
unscrupulous in their conviction," he said, adding that
unfortunately for the BJP the hazard of depending on hearsay
has manifest itself very soon.
WikiLeaks cables had reported that Robert Blake, Charge d`
affairs at the US Embassy, had conveyed to his government,
after a meeting with Jaitley on May 6, 2005, that "Jaitley
argued that Hindu nationalism `will always be a talking point`
for the BJP. However, he characterised this as an
Jaitley has maintained that he had not used the word
To a question on state of Muslims in Gujarat, he said the
state represents the most reprehensible face of the BJP.
"You had a pogram which is carried out against the
minorities. You had subversion of justice taking place all
these years and even today those innocents who were done to
death, their next of kin are yet to get justice," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai