Raise substantive issues, don`t go by hearsay: Cong tells BJP
New Delhi: Stepping up attack on the BJP on
the Wikileaks report concerning Arun Jaitley, Congress on Monday
bluntly told the opposition that chickens would come home to
roost sooner than later if it failed to raise substantive
issues and take recourse to hearsay.
"Substantive politics needs to be done on substantive
issues," Congress spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters here.
Accusing the BJP of engaging in double speak, Tewari
listed out instances from the reports of Wikileaks revelations
and contended that Opposition leaders had taken a completely
opposite stand to that of its political resolutions while
interacting with US embassy officials.
"The BJP is double-tongued, double-faced and completely
unscrupulous in their conviction," he said, adding that
unfortunately for the BJP the hazard of depending on hearsay
has manifest itself very soon.
WikiLeaks cables had reported that Robert Blake, Charge d`
affairs at the US Embassy, had conveyed to his government,
after a meeting with Jaitley on May 6, 2005, that "Jaitley
argued that Hindu nationalism `will always be a talking point`
for the BJP. However, he characterised this as an
Jaitley has maintained that he had not used the word
To a question on state of Muslims in Gujarat, he said the
state represents the most reprehensible face of the BJP.
"You had a pogram which is carried out against the
minorities. You had subversion of justice taking place all
these years and even today those innocents who were done to
death, their next of kin are yet to get justice," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown