Raj Aggarwal commissioned as first Indian diplomat in Wales
London: Raj K Aggarwal, an Anglo-Indian pharmacist and businessman, has been commissioned as the first Indian diplomat in Wales at a special ceremony.
India`s High Commissioner to the UK, Dr Jaimini Bhagwati, presented the Commission of Appointment as Honorary Consul of India in Wales at a function held at the India House last evening.
Aggarwal, who was appointed to the post in September last year, was officially commissioned in the presence of the First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones, Wales Police Commissioner Alun Michael and distinguished guests including Lord Bikhu Parikh and Labour MP Virendra Sharma.
Speaking on the occasion, 63-year-old Aggarwal pledged to uphold, defend and promote the interests of both countries.
"India and Wales are my pride and joy. The citizens of India and Wales have strong ties and share the same affection for good food, drink and music....Talents like (poet) Dylan Thomas/Tom Jones...Ravi Shankar, Mohammad Rafi and Lata Mangeshker," Aggarwal said.
He observed that "India is a great, very impressive and diverse super power but Wales though small has its own charms. The coastline, beaches, mountains, farm houses, pubs, castles, temples and the welsh hospitality are unbeatable."
"Wales is so special. Cardiff is one of the most dynamic and enterprising international cities," Aggarwal said.
Describing First Minister Carwyn Jones` visit to Delhi and Mumbai last April as memorable, he said, "the exposure Wales got during your three-day short visit was massive. I know you have made India a special focus with trade missions and specialist teams. This is all good news".
"The evaluation clearly indicates that Indian and Welsh companies are having a serious dialogue," Aggarwal said.
Aggarwal said, over 2,500 Indian students study in 12 Welsh Universities creating strong mutual relationships, and added that Universities like the Russel group Cardiff University are world class.
Bhagwati, the High Commissioner of India, complimented Raj Aggarwal for his efforts to build up Wales-India ties.
He said Tata Consultancy Service and other Indian IT companies have a substantial presence in Wales.
Wales First Minister Carwyn Jones said, "Today is a historic day in terms of relationship between Wales and India. We share so much...Including Wales languages which has its origin in Sanskrit. India is an exceptionally important trading partner and Tatas provide 1000s employment in Wales."
"Raj was responsible for the success of the Wales delegation visit to India last year. Raj is somebody respected not only in Cardiff but in entire Wales," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'