Raj Thackeray’s plea rejected, will appear before Delhi Court
New Delhi: A Delhi court has asked Maharahstra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray to appear before it on July 26 in connection with a complaint about his alleged hate speeches against Bihar natives. The court rejected his plea for exemption from personal appearance.
The court rejected Thackeray`s plea for exemption on the ground cited by him that since he has been given Y-category security, he is unable to appear before it.
"This is no ground for exemption. The person has already been provided security and thus he is supposed to appear before the court. Otherwise also, a bailable warrant has been issued againt him on January 3, 2009. Exemption plea is dismissed," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Devendra Kumar Sharma said.
He also directed MNS spokesperson Shirish Parkar, who has also been named as an accused in the complaint, to appear before it.
The court passed the order on a complaint filed by advocate Premchandra Jaiswal, who is a member of Bihar State Bar Council, Patna, against the MNS chief`s alleged hate speeches against natives of Bihar and "demeaning" their religious festival of Chhath and also his party workers criminally intimidating them.
The complaint case was initially filed before a court in Patna in 2008 and summoning orders and non-bailable warrants were also issued against the accused persons. The case was transferred to Delhi in 2010 by the Supreme Court along with similar other complaints filed against Thackeray for allegedly making hate speeches on the plea of MNS chief.
The ACMM had earlier issued notices to both the accused for June 22 but they sought exemption from personal appearance.
While allowing Parkar`s plea for exemption on medical grounds, the court rejected Thackeray`s plea for exemption on the ground mentioned by him that he is unable to attend the court as he has been provided Y-category security.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference