Raja, Kalmadi made members of Parl Committees
New Delhi: Former Union Minister A Raja, the main accused in 2G spectrum scam, and Suresh Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, have been made members of two separate Parliamentary Standing Committees.
Raja, who represents DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy.
Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs.
The Parliamentary Standing Committees examine the bills and give suggestions to the proposed legislations related to the ministries concerned.
Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year.
Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
In the reconstitution of various Committees, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has been made a member of the Standing Committee on Finance headed by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha. Earlier, he was a member of the Committee on HRD.
The reconstitution of the Committees also saw DMK`s Tiruchi Siva being made the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Industry, while BSP`s Brajesh Pathak has been made the Chairman on the Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare.
BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan, who chaired the Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, has been shifted to the Committee on Labour. Congress member Hemananda Biswal will be the new Chairman of the Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
Independent MP Madhu Koda, who is in Ranhci jail in connection with money laundering cases, has not been made member of any committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday