Raja, Kalmadi made members of Parl Committees
New Delhi: Former Union Minister A Raja, the main accused in 2G spectrum scam, and Suresh Kalmadi, accused in the Commonwealth Games scam, have been made members of two separate Parliamentary Standing Committees.
Raja, who represents DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy.
Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs.
The Parliamentary Standing Committees examine the bills and give suggestions to the proposed legislations related to the ministries concerned.
Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year.
Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
In the reconstitution of various Committees, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi has been made a member of the Standing Committee on Finance headed by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha. Earlier, he was a member of the Committee on HRD.
The reconstitution of the Committees also saw DMK`s Tiruchi Siva being made the Chairman of the Standing Committee on Industry, while BSP`s Brajesh Pathak has been made the Chairman on the Standing Committee on Health and Family Welfare.
BSP leader Dara Singh Chauhan, who chaired the Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, has been shifted to the Committee on Labour. Congress member Hemananda Biswal will be the new Chairman of the Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
Independent MP Madhu Koda, who is in Ranhci jail in connection with money laundering cases, has not been made member of any committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why