Rajapaksa prays for team’s victory at Tirupati
Tirupati: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Saturday left for Mumbai to watch the World Cup final, but not before praying at Tirumala temple here for his team`s success in the match against India.
Accompanied by his wife, the visiting dignitary, who had a `darshan` of Lord Venkateswara and offered special puja Friday evening, participated in the special rituals Saturday morning.
Rajapaksa, an ardent devotee of the deity, participated in `suprabhatam`, the first rituals of the day amidst chanting of the Vedic hymns. According to Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), which manages the affairs of India`s richest temple, suprabhatam seva is performed to wake up the Lord from his celestial sleep.
The Sri Lankan president stayed overnight atop Tirumala Hills after offering prayers Friday evening.
Rajapaksa later left for Mumbai by the special aircraft from the Renigunta airport. He will watch the final at the Wankhede Stadium along with his Indian counterpart Pratibha Patil.
A large number of Indian fans too offered prayers and organised special `yagyams` in the temple town. Holding the Indian flag and pictures of players, they also took out a huge rally.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy, himself a cricket player during his college days, also visited Tirupati to offer prayers. However, officials said his visit was a routine one and had nothing to do with the match.
Reddy told reporters he was confident that India would win the World Cup after 29 years. He conveyed his best wishes to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?