Raja`s arrest bolsters CPI-M demand for JPC: Yechury
Kolkata: The CPI-M on Friday said its demand for
a JPC probe into the 2G spectrum scam had become all the more
important with the arrest of former Telecom minister A Raja
and the party stressed for a new legislation in Parliament to
"It is now quite clear and evident that a JPC is all the
more required now to go into the 2G scam," CPI-M) politburo
member Sitaram Yechury told reporters at the airport here.
Yechury, however, made it clear that his party would not
favour a joint movement with the BJP to demand for the JPC.
"There is no question of going along with the BJP for the
JPC demand. BJP is vocal about corruption in New Delhi. But,
they are silent about corruption in Karnataka where it is in
power. We demand investigation into all corrupt practices," he
"It amounts to cutting the branch of a tree sitting over
it," he quipped.
Yechury also said none other than Parliament could enact
a new legislation to curb corruption.
"This cannot be done by either the Supreme Court or the
government and such a new law will be beneficial for the next
generation of people," he said, adding corruption had taken
place in Karnataka and New Delhi.
Asked about A Raja`s arrest, he said Raja should have
been arrested before. "The arrest was delayed by the Centre,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him