Raja`s supporters celebrate his release
New Delhi: It was a moment of celebration for followers of former Telecom Minister A Raja as they burst crackers and distributed sweets among themselves to celebrate his release from prison on bail in the 2G case.
Sound of crackers resonated Motilal Nehru Marg where Raja`s residence is located and his followers raised slogans praising the DMK leader.
Accompanied by DMK parliamentary party leader T R Baalu, Raja arrived at this house a little after 7.40 PM, minutes after he walked out of jail.
As his car entered the gate, crackers were burst and followers beat drums and sang songs to welcome him.
It took a few minutes for the driver to enter the residence as he negotiated through mediapersons who had assembled in large numbers.
His supporters kept beating drums and raising slogans as Raja was welcomed by his wife Parameshwari at the entrance of their house.
Soon, Raja was welcomed with `aarati` by his relatives and went inside where his supporters and DMK leaders were waiting for him.
Union Minister of State Napolean came a little later to greet Raja.
A number of people had come from Chennai and his native of Perambalur near Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu to meet and welcome Raja.
A little later, the DMK MP from Milgiris came and posed for photographs after a request from still photographers.
Arrangements were also being made for a gala dinner tonight for his supporters, DMK leaders and lawyers to celebrate the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak