Rajasthan: Docs continue stir, 50 dead
Jaipur: In a tragic situation, over 50 people have lost their lives across Rajasthan after medical services was virtually paralysed in five major districts of the state with around 1,200 resident doctors going on an indefinite strike against alleged lathicharge on medicos in Jodhpur.
50 people, including infants have died in the state, especially in Jodhpur and Jaipur due to lack of proper medical care. All six government medical colleges and their attached hospitals in Rajasthan have left medical services crippled in the state for over three days now.
While the outdoor patient departments (OPD) have been adversely affected at all hospitals following the strike that began Saturday, the indoor patients have been left to the mercy of nursing staff.
"We are looking into the issue. We have also heard about these deaths and have to verify facts. If so many have died, then the cause of death has to be ascertained. It is pre-mature for us to comment," said an official of the medical and health department in Jodhpur on Monday on condition of anonymity.
The resident doctors are on strike since Saturday protesting alleged police atrocities at the MDM Medical College.
Demanding action against senior police and administration officials, private and government doctors went on a strike in around 40 hospitals in Jodhpur, while resident doctors struck work in Jaipur, Kota, Ajmer and Bikaner.
"We have called the strike to protest the baton-charge Saturday in which many of our students and doctors were injured," Dr KK Sahu, president of the Jaipur Association of Resident Doctors said, adding that the strike would continue till the police officials are suspended.
Resident doctors say the police resorted to baton-charge following a minor scuffle between some doctors and attendants of a patient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’