Rajdhani derails, sabotage not ruled out
Kolkata: Passengers of the Howrah-bound Rajdhani Express escaped unhurt on Monday when the engine derailed at a station in Hooghly district with the Railways not ruling out sabotage as 300 pandoral clips on the tracks were found removed.
The New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express was at a slow speed while it was passing through a platform of the Baruipara station, around 27 km from Kolkata, when two front wheels of the engine jumped the tracks, Eastern railway CPRO Samir Goswami told a news agency.
None of the coaches were affected by the derailment, which occurred at around 9:15 am, he said.
Eastern Railway sources had earlier said that two coaches had also derailed.
"Since none of the coaches were affected there was no casualty or injury," the CPRO said.
"Prima facie 300 pandoral clips on the tracks were found removed, therefore we are not ruling out sabotage," Goswami said.
The chief operations manager, Eastern Railways, Ambarish Mukherjee who was on the train, took charge of the situation immediately after the derailment, the CPRO said.
A EMU rake was sent from Howrah to bring the stranded passengers of the Rajdhani to the terminus, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured