Rajdhani derails, sabotage not ruled out
Kolkata: Passengers of the Howrah-bound Rajdhani Express escaped unhurt on Monday when the engine derailed at a station in Hooghly district with the Railways not ruling out sabotage as 300 pandoral clips on the tracks were found removed.
The New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express was at a slow speed while it was passing through a platform of the Baruipara station, around 27 km from Kolkata, when two front wheels of the engine jumped the tracks, Eastern railway CPRO Samir Goswami told a news agency.
None of the coaches were affected by the derailment, which occurred at around 9:15 am, he said.
Eastern Railway sources had earlier said that two coaches had also derailed.
"Since none of the coaches were affected there was no casualty or injury," the CPRO said.
"Prima facie 300 pandoral clips on the tracks were found removed, therefore we are not ruling out sabotage," Goswami said.
The chief operations manager, Eastern Railways, Ambarish Mukherjee who was on the train, took charge of the situation immediately after the derailment, the CPRO said.
A EMU rake was sent from Howrah to bring the stranded passengers of the Rajdhani to the terminus, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez