Raje quits as Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Former Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje today quit as Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly after a meeting of the BJP legislature party ahead of
the start of the state Budget session.
After having defied the party high command for months to step down from the post following BJP`s poor performance in Lok Sabha and Assembly polls, Raje had sent her resignation to it on October 23 last year but the letter was not forwarded to Speaker Deependra Singh Shekhawat.
She submitted her resignation to the Speaker this morning, BJP whip R S Rathore told reporters here. Rathore said the election of the new leader of opposition would take place within a week after consultations with the party high command.
He said senior party leaders would come here in a day or two to talk to them to evolve a consensus on the issue of new leadership.
"Till then, the Deputy Leader of the party Ghanshyam Tiwari will lead the opposition," he said.
Quoting Raje`s resignation letter, Rathore said she would remain a "disciplined worker of the party and continue to raise public voice in the House.
"Raje as a Leader of Opposition fulfilled her Constitutional obligations and responsibilities in the House since 2008," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!