Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: Death convicts` plea comes up before SC today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The plea of three death convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, to commute their death sentences to life imprisonment keeping in mind delay of more than 11 years in deciding their mercy petitions by the President, cones up before the Supreme Court on Thursday.
At the last hearing, an apex court bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam had rejected the Centre`s plea seeking to postpone the hearing to another day after senior advocate Ram Jethmalani appearing for the condemned prisoners - Santhan, Murugan and Perarivalan - said he suspected that the government is trying to delay the case.
"I have a strong suspicion that they want to take time in the case so that they can file review petition (on apex court verdict holding that delay in deciding mercy plea can be a ground for commuting death sentence)," Jethmalani said.
Additional Solicitor General Siddharth Luthra also said that the Centre is considering for seeking review of the recent apex court verdict in which it held that inordinate and inexplicable delay by government in deciding mercy plea of death row convicts can be a ground for commuting their sentence.
The bench thereafter decided to take up the case today when it would hear the plea of petitioners and Attorney General GE Vahanvati will make submission on behalf of Centre on February 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state