Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: ‘Perarivalan`s statement not recorded verbatim’
Chennai: A former CBI officer involved in the investigation in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case has purportedly said he had not recorded verbatim the statement of A G Perarivalan, a death convict in the case.
A documentary, produced by a group of individuals and People`s Movement Against Death Penalty (PMADP), quotes former IPS officer S P Thiyagarajan as saying he had not recorded the part where Perarivalan had told him he was not aware why he was asked to purchase the batteries.
Perarivalan alias Arivu was sentenced to death for buying battery cells to make the belt bomb used to kill the former Prime Minister during an election rally at Sriperumbudur here in May 1991.
Perarivalan and two other death row convicts in the case, Murugan and Santhan, have challenged the rejection of their mercy pleas by then President Pratibha Patil.
"What pricks me is Arivu said he did not know why they asked him to buy this (battery); he said that. But while recording that statement I did not record this statement that he did not know (about the batteries). Investigation was in progress, so I did not write it. Though strictly speaking, law expects you to record the statement verbatim. But in practice we don`t do that," Thiagarajan, tasked with recording the statement of the accused in the case, said.
The statement was taken "superficially" and they jumped to a conclusion as if Perarivalan was aware of the plot to kill Gandhi, he said.
The retired Kerala cadre officer`s remarks come 22 years after the assassination of Gandhi by an LTTE suicide bomber.
"I always felt a little uneasy in Arivu`s case. The confessional statement has not been appreciated the way it should have been appreciated," he said.
He added that wireless intercepts between key accused Sivarasan and LTTE leader `Pottu` Amman reveal that the former had not disclosed the plot to anyone.
Thiyagarajan said he made the latest revelations in "good conscience."
"I thought it was my duty to get in touch with Arivu and his advocates and bring out the true import of the confessional statement so that if possible, even at this last minute, we can try and save a precious human life," he said.
Earlier in February, former Supreme Court Judge K T Thomas who had confirmed the death sentence of the accused had said it would be "constitutionally incorrect" to hang them as the convicts have spent 22 years in jail without a "review" of their case.
V R Krishna Iyer, who heads PMADP, appealed in the documentary against executing anyone in this case, saying "whenever there is a suspicion, please don`t execute."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India