Rajiv Gandhi remembered on 22nd death anniversary
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was Tuesday remembered on his 22nd death anniversary with leaders paying homage at his memorial here.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the late leader`s wife and Congress President Sonia Gandhi offered flowers at his memorial `Vir Bhumi` here.
Sonia was also joined by son and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, daughter Priyanka and son-in-law Robert Vadra.
`Shanti Mantra` was recited on the occasion as youth holding the Tricolour circumambulated the memorial.
A number of young children also offered floral tributes at the memorial.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Defence Minister A K Antony, Parliamentary Affairs and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were among those who paid tributes to the leader.
Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read