Rajiv Gandhi remembered on 22nd death anniversary
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was Tuesday remembered on his 22nd death anniversary with leaders paying homage at his memorial here.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the late leader`s wife and Congress President Sonia Gandhi offered flowers at his memorial `Vir Bhumi` here.
Sonia was also joined by son and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, daughter Priyanka and son-in-law Robert Vadra.
`Shanti Mantra` was recited on the occasion as youth holding the Tricolour circumambulated the memorial.
A number of young children also offered floral tributes at the memorial.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Defence Minister A K Antony, Parliamentary Affairs and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were among those who paid tributes to the leader.
Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble