Rajiv Gandhi remembered on 22nd death anniversary
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was Tuesday remembered on his 22nd death anniversary with leaders paying homage at his memorial here.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the late leader`s wife and Congress President Sonia Gandhi offered flowers at his memorial `Vir Bhumi` here.
Sonia was also joined by son and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, daughter Priyanka and son-in-law Robert Vadra.
`Shanti Mantra` was recited on the occasion as youth holding the Tricolour circumambulated the memorial.
A number of young children also offered floral tributes at the memorial.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, Defence Minister A K Antony, Parliamentary Affairs and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were among those who paid tributes to the leader.
Gandhi was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day