Rajiv Gandhi remembered on death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was killed in a suicide bomb attack on this day 21 years ago.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the departed leader`s wife and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi went to the late leader`s memorial `Vir Bhumi` here and paid their respects.
Rahul and Priyanka also paid floral tributes at the memorial of their father, who was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal and Urban Development also paid homage to Gandhi.
Priyanka`s husband Robert Vadra was present on the occasion.
School children waving national flags were also present at the memorial.
A speech by the late prime minister, during which he talked about preserving the dignity of institutions, was played at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Can you believe it? Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh danced to 'Dilli Wali Girlfriend' setting the party on fire!- WATCH
- Arshad Warsi all set to don director's hat!
- GST Bill: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers on Tuesday
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Narsingh Yadav cries foul after dope test shock, says truth will come out