Rajiv Gandhi remembered on death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was killed in a suicide bomb attack on this day 21 years ago.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the departed leader`s wife and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi went to the late leader`s memorial `Vir Bhumi` here and paid their respects.
Rahul and Priyanka also paid floral tributes at the memorial of their father, who was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal and Urban Development also paid homage to Gandhi.
Priyanka`s husband Robert Vadra was present on the occasion.
School children waving national flags were also present at the memorial.
A speech by the late prime minister, during which he talked about preserving the dignity of institutions, was played at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof