Rajiv Gandhi remembered on death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was killed in a suicide bomb attack on this day 21 years ago.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the departed leader`s wife and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi went to the late leader`s memorial `Vir Bhumi` here and paid their respects.
Rahul and Priyanka also paid floral tributes at the memorial of their father, who was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal and Urban Development also paid homage to Gandhi.
Priyanka`s husband Robert Vadra was present on the occasion.
School children waving national flags were also present at the memorial.
A speech by the late prime minister, during which he talked about preserving the dignity of institutions, was played at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'