Rajiv Gandhi remembered on death anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Monday paid homage to former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, who was killed in a suicide bomb attack on this day 21 years ago.
President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the departed leader`s wife and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi went to the late leader`s memorial `Vir Bhumi` here and paid their respects.
Rahul and Priyanka also paid floral tributes at the memorial of their father, who was assassinated on May 21, 1991 at Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu during a poll campaign.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal and Urban Development also paid homage to Gandhi.
Priyanka`s husband Robert Vadra was present on the occasion.
School children waving national flags were also present at the memorial.
A speech by the late prime minister, during which he talked about preserving the dignity of institutions, was played at the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside