Rajiv glorified, Shastri ignored?
New Delhi: There seems to a disparity in expenditure on advertisements for remembering national icons, with the government spending nearly triple the amount for glorifying Rajiv Gandhi in two months than what it did for Lal Bahadur Shastri in 10 years.
The DAVP has spent nearly Rs three crore over a period of two months on advertisements to glorify late prime minister Gandhi as against only Rs 87 lakh over a period of 10 years for Shastri, also a former premier.
This was revealed in an RTI reply by the CPIO, DAVP, Mattu JP Singh who refrained from disclosing expenditure incurred on the advertisement on other ex-prime ministers.
Ajay Marathe, a resident of Mumbai, had filed an RTI application with the ministry, seeking information pertaining to advertisements issued by the DAVP with photographs of Rajiv Gandhi and other former prime ministers.
"Between July to August 2009, the DAVP had issued eight advertisements worth Rs 2,97,70,498 glorifying Rajiv Gandhi.
These advertisements also had pictures of the former prime minister," Marathe said.
In contrast, only Rs 87,23,901 was spent on five advertisements between 2000-01 to 2009-2010 with photographs of late Lal Bahdur Shastri, he said.
"Both Rajiv Gandhi and Lal Bahadur Shastri were former prime ministers of India. Both have contributed towards the welfare of the nation and Lal Bahadur Shastri played a leading role in India`s freedom struggle movement. Then why this disparity when remembering them," he asked.
Mattu JP Singh, the CPIO, DAVP, also said that no advertisements were issued by the DAVP with photographs of ex-prime ministers other than that of Jawahar Lal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi and Lal Bahadur Shastri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Canara Bank revises lending rates based on MCLR
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 to be launched in India on May 10
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500