Rajiv Shukla calls on President
New Delhi: Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla on Friday called on President Pranab Mukherjee.
It is not clear what transpired in the meeting but it comes a day after the President called three ministers - Home, Law and Parliamentary Affairs - and raised questions over the need for an ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers on which there was no political consensus.
The government has issued the ordinance to negate a Supreme Court judgement that struck down a provision in the electoral law which allowed convicted MPs or MLAs to continue in their post if they make an appeal to a higher court within three months.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi also termed the ordinance as "non-sense" and said it should be torn and thrown away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?