Rajiv Shukla calls on President
New Delhi: Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla on Friday called on President Pranab Mukherjee.
It is not clear what transpired in the meeting but it comes a day after the President called three ministers - Home, Law and Parliamentary Affairs - and raised questions over the need for an ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers on which there was no political consensus.
The government has issued the ordinance to negate a Supreme Court judgement that struck down a provision in the electoral law which allowed convicted MPs or MLAs to continue in their post if they make an appeal to a higher court within three months.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi also termed the ordinance as "non-sense" and said it should be torn and thrown away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Uma Bharti admitted to AIIMS, stable
- Microsoft's 'Project Premonition' mosquito trap helps tackle spread of Zika and other diseases
- Parts of Uttar Pradesh receive rain, water level rising in major rivers
- 17% Indian pregnant women suffer from obesity, diabetes
- Mob attacks police post in J&K's Kupwara, 18 policemen injured