Rajiv Shukla caught on mic in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Union Minister Rajiv Shukla was today caught in a controversy as he was heard telling Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien to adjourn the House after the opposition created uproar over CAG report on coal blocks allotment to private firms.
Kurien, who was elected as the Deputy Chairman, had just occupied the Chair when members of entire Opposition started shouting slogans against the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the government.
Amid the din, Shukla, who is Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, went to the chair and whispered in the ears of Kurien, "Pure din Ke liye House adjourn kara dijiye liye (Adjourn the House for the day)."
The whisper, however, was caught on Kurien`s mike and was amplified. The House was adjourned soon after for the day.
Significantly, minutes earlier Kurien, while accepting felicitations on his induction, had said that he will try to accommodate views of all members in running the House.
Criticising Shukla`s action, BJP spokesperson Prakash avdekar said it has "exposed Congress design" to disrupt Parliament and not allow it to function.
"Congress is engaging in double speak as on the one hand it is telling the Chair to adjourn the House and on the other hand they are blaming the BJP for causing disruptions.
"They have been badly exposed and they are not interested in running the House," Javdekar added.
Former Lok Sabha Secretary General Subhash Kashyap disapproved of Shukla`s conduct saying "It is undignified for a member to walk upto the chair and advise...Members or Ministers should speak from their seat."
Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, however, said that Shukla may have given a suggestion which was not binding on the Chair.
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- VVIP chopper scam: Govt to seek CBI report, blacklist AgustaWestland; Sonia Gandhi rejects allegations against her
- Pakistani fanatics heckle, show shoe to Kabir Khan at Karachi airport - Watch
- Bharti Airtel Q4 net up 2.8% to Rs 1,290 crore; revenue up 8.4% to Rs 24,960 crore
- Trupti Desai writes letter to Mohan Bhagwat, demands equal representation of women in RSS
- Panama Papers' database to go public on May 9