Rajiv trial: Names of Prabhakaran, Amman dropped
Chennai: The names of LTTE chief V Prabhakaran and his deputy Pottu Amman have been removed from the list of accused in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case by a designated court here as both were killed in the island republic Army`s offensive.
"The case against the absconding accused A1 Prabhakaran and A2 Pottu Amman, alias Shanmuganathan Sivasankaran, is hereby dropped and the charges against them
ordered abated", TADA court Judge K Dakshinamurthy said recently accepting the CBI`s report in this regard.
Prabhakaran, named as prime accused and Pottu Amman as accused number two, had been charged with conspiring in assassinating Rajiv Gandhi at an election rally at
Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu on May 21, 1991.
The judge`s action followed a report by CBI`s Multi Department Monitoring Agency (MDMA), formed to probe the conspiracy angle behind the killing of Rajiv Gandhi.
According to Indian laws, charges against the accused abate after their death and the dropping of the names of the two top leaders of the now decimated organisation is seen as
India acknowledging that Prabhakaran is no more alive.
The Court`s decision to drop their names comes amidst claims by pro-LTTE groups and parties in Tamil Nadu including the Vaiko-led MDMK that Prabhakaran was alive.
The Sri Lankan forces had displayed the bullet-riddled body of the Tigers chief at Nanthikadal lagoon last year after he had planned to escape with some of his aides but was surrounded by the army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams