Rajnath appears not averse to quitting as BJP chief
New Delhi: Rajnath Singh on Monday appeared to
be not averse to quitting as BJP president if there is an
early consensus on his successor.
Amid talk of the RSS backing Maharashtra BJP chief Nitin
Gadkari, Singh, whose tenure ends on December 31, made it
clear that his term is virtually over and would like an early
decision on the succession issue.
"In a way, my term as president has come to an end. At the
right time, I will hand over the reins to the new president to
bring in a change of responsibility," Singh said.
When asked whether he had set a deadline to quit as party
president, Singh said, "I have not decided the date as yet."
However, Singh said he would abide by any consensus
arrived at by the party on the issue.
Singh said he wanted the ongoing organisational elections
in the state units of the party to be completed soon.
"I want that the organisational elections be completed
at the earliest and there should be no undue delay."
The new president can be elected only when polls to 50
per cent of the state units are completed. As of now, this
seems unlikely before December 31.
Sources close to Singh said in case the process runs
into February or March, the BJP chief is unlikely to wait that
long. Singh was elected as party president on November 26,
2006 and may treat that as the deadline.
There is media speculation that once Singh quits there may
be pressure on top BJP leader L K Advani quitting as Leader of
the Opposition in the Lok Sabha to be in line with the
generational change being ushered in the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'