Rajnath for separate bugdet for agriculture sector
Jaipur: Highlighting the importance of
agriculture in growth, senior BJP leader Rajnath Singh on Saturday said a separate budget for the sector should be presented in
Parliament like the Rail budget.
Speaking at the inaugural function of a farmers` workshop
organised by the BJP Kisan Morcha here, Singh demanded a
comprehensive action plan for improving the status of the
"Farmers are forced to commit suicide even after 64 years
of independence and they need special focus. Contribution of
agriculture in GDP, once used to be 50-55 per cent, has come
down to 14 or 15 per cent. This is alarming," he said.
"The UPA-I had set a target to double the agriculture
production by 2015 but it is unlikely to be achieved if the
current growth and condition of the agriculture sector remains
the same," the former Union Agriculture minister said.
He said the CACP (Commission for Agriculture Costs and
Prices) which recommends Minimum Support Price (MSP) for
crops should be given statutory status.
Expressing concern at the decreasing ground water level,
Singh said the government should introduce a law to prevent
the misuse of water and the irrigation should be included in
the concurrent list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre