Rajnath hasn`t given any gag order on PM candidate
New Delhi: BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Tuesday defended party president Rajnath Singh`s directive to party members not to speak on the Prime Ministerial candidate issue and said till now no demand for choosing Narendra Modi for the post has come up before BJP Parliamentary Board.
"He (Singh) has not stopped members from freedom of expression. He has only said they should not speak out on issues on which no opinion has been formed by the party yet. This is discipline of the party and if you are a member, you are bound by the rules," Joshi said.
He was replying to a question from reporters on whether Singh has issued a gag order on the issue.
Joshi denied that Singh`s directive has been flouted. Former Bihar unit chief CP Thakur had spoken out in support of Modi for PM soon after Singh appealed to the party leaders not to speak on the issue.
> "This is not an issue (Thakur speaking out of turn) on which there should be any ruckus," Joshi said.
Asked about a congregation of saints at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad declaring their support for making Modi the PM candidate, the BJP leader said "I don`t know what resolution the Dharma Sansad will pass or not pass. Once we know, we will decide what should be done."
Joshi said no demand for making Modi as the PM candidate has come to the BJP Parliamentary Board, the highest decision- making body of the party.
Singh has said though Modi is a very popular leader of BJP, a decision on who should be the PM candidate will be taken at an appropriate time by the Parliamentary Board.
In reply to another question, Joshi said the party`s view on building a Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya is clearly spelt out in the BJP manifesto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues