Rajnath hasn`t given any gag order on PM candidate
New Delhi: BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Tuesday defended party president Rajnath Singh`s directive to party members not to speak on the Prime Ministerial candidate issue and said till now no demand for choosing Narendra Modi for the post has come up before BJP Parliamentary Board.
"He (Singh) has not stopped members from freedom of expression. He has only said they should not speak out on issues on which no opinion has been formed by the party yet. This is discipline of the party and if you are a member, you are bound by the rules," Joshi said.
He was replying to a question from reporters on whether Singh has issued a gag order on the issue.
Joshi denied that Singh`s directive has been flouted. Former Bihar unit chief CP Thakur had spoken out in support of Modi for PM soon after Singh appealed to the party leaders not to speak on the issue.
> "This is not an issue (Thakur speaking out of turn) on which there should be any ruckus," Joshi said.
Asked about a congregation of saints at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad declaring their support for making Modi the PM candidate, the BJP leader said "I don`t know what resolution the Dharma Sansad will pass or not pass. Once we know, we will decide what should be done."
Joshi said no demand for making Modi as the PM candidate has come to the BJP Parliamentary Board, the highest decision- making body of the party.
Singh has said though Modi is a very popular leader of BJP, a decision on who should be the PM candidate will be taken at an appropriate time by the Parliamentary Board.
In reply to another question, Joshi said the party`s view on building a Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya is clearly spelt out in the BJP manifesto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31