Rajnath holds meeting with UP BJP leaders on LS polls
New Delhi: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Tuesday held a meeting of the party`s Uttar Pradesh Core Group and other senior leaders of the state to chalk out a strategy for boosting its electoral prospects in next Lok Sabha polls.
With 80 Lok Sabha seats, UP is a politically significant state for BJP where it had reaped rich electoral harvests during the Ayodhya temple movement. The meeting held here today discussed ways of ending internal feud in the party and putting up a united fight.
Singh, who is a former Chief Minister of UP, held separate discussions with senior party leaders from the state to know their views. This was followed by a discussion with the whole Core Group and the senior leaders.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said "the meeting discussed all poll-related issues. The situation in the state is bad due to poor law and order, corruption and scams. The party has decided to go for an aggressive campaign in all parts of UP."
BJP intends to take on ruling Samajwadi Party and Congress in UP on issues like law and order, corruption and scams, "bad governance" of both the UPA government at the Centre and the SP-led Samajwadi Party regime in UP.
But BJP is still on the lookout for key poll planks post-Ayodhya on which it can woo the voters. BJP leaders, who espouse the Hindutva cause, are reportedly of the view that the Ram temple issue should be highlighted once again and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi should be the party`s face to win voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership