Rajnath holds meeting with UP BJP leaders on LS polls
New Delhi: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Tuesday held a meeting of the party`s Uttar Pradesh Core Group and other senior leaders of the state to chalk out a strategy for boosting its electoral prospects in next Lok Sabha polls.
With 80 Lok Sabha seats, UP is a politically significant state for BJP where it had reaped rich electoral harvests during the Ayodhya temple movement. The meeting held here today discussed ways of ending internal feud in the party and putting up a united fight.
Singh, who is a former Chief Minister of UP, held separate discussions with senior party leaders from the state to know their views. This was followed by a discussion with the whole Core Group and the senior leaders.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said "the meeting discussed all poll-related issues. The situation in the state is bad due to poor law and order, corruption and scams. The party has decided to go for an aggressive campaign in all parts of UP."
BJP intends to take on ruling Samajwadi Party and Congress in UP on issues like law and order, corruption and scams, "bad governance" of both the UPA government at the Centre and the SP-led Samajwadi Party regime in UP.
But BJP is still on the lookout for key poll planks post-Ayodhya on which it can woo the voters. BJP leaders, who espouse the Hindutva cause, are reportedly of the view that the Ram temple issue should be highlighted once again and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi should be the party`s face to win voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Tech Mahindra net soars 90% to Rs 897-crore on margin surge, forex gains
- IPL 2016: Sunrisers Hyderabad's Ashish Nehra to undergo knee surgery
- DCW assures strict action against woman for thrashing 85-year-old mother
- Tintu Luka aiming to run under two-minute races: P T Usha
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal kickbacks were channelled from Mauritius to India: Report