Rajnath Singh lauds Narendra Modi, defends Nitin Gadkari
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh on Saturday lauded Gujarat’s Narendra Modi as the most popular Chief Minister.
Speaking at the party’s national council meet, Singh hailed Modi as the first CM belonging to the party, who has registered "never before" three consecutive electoral wins for the party in Gujarat.
All countries are talking about Modi`s development model, said Singh, who also asked party workers to give the Gujarat CM a standing ovation.
"His government has earned praise from the international world, be it America, considered to be the most developed nation, or the European countries, all have praised his development model and good governance. And it`s quite natural that we all party workers must have had a pleasant feeling because of all this," he added.
"We have never seen the BJP winning three elections under one leadership," Singh said as Modi stepped forward on the dais to accept plaudits from the delegates.
"It won`t be proper to welcome Modi with mere words. He deserves a good round of applause, a standing ovation," Singh said.
The BJP president also heaped praise on Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh and Chhatisgarh Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Raman Singh respectively for leading "successful" governments. He also had words of praise for Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushilkumar Modi and Leader of the BJP legislature party in Punjab, where the party is sharing power with the Akali Dal.
The BJP president also said the party was looking up to LK Advani to guide it through the challenges being faced by the country.
"If there is somebody who can guide us, it is Advani. When the country is passing through a difficult phase we don`t need to worry," Singh said, addressing party workers at Talkatora Stadium here.
"This government is a failure on all fronts whether diplomatic or financial. But with Advani`s guidance, if anybody can overcome these problems it will be the BJP," he said.
Singh also defended his predecessor Nitin Gadkari, saying the allegations against the former BJP president were completely false and baseless.
Singh said Gadkari took a decision not to take up the post again despite senior leaders trying to dissuade him.
"So I took up the post. I know the accusations (against Gadkari) are totally baseless. I had assured him not to worry and that the entire country is with him. The party was strengthened by him," Singh said.
On Friday also, Modi came in for special praise at BJP’s national executive meeting.
Singh further accused the UPA government of failure of various counts including in ensuring security, maintaining diplomatic relations, particularly with neighbouring countries, tackling Naxalism and handling of the economy and sought to project the BJP as an alternative.
"We haven`t seen a strong leadership in the Congress-led UPA," the BJP president said.
BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain earlier in the day said the motive of this meet is to analyse the economic conditions of the country and also chalk out a strategy to counter the anti-people policies of the Congress-led UPA Government.
"Our party believes in good governance and we would pledge here at the meet to provide good governance to the nation. We would also discuss the strategy to counter the policies of the ruling Congress Party, which has been burning a hole in the pockets of the common man," said Hussain.
Members of BJP`s national council and executive, lawmakers, legislators, state office bearers, national coordinators of frontal organisations and some other party functionaries are attending the meeting.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'