Rajnath Singh raises concern over delay in Nirbhaya project
New Delhi: The Government on Tuesday raised concerns over delay in starting of Nirbhaya project, aimed at providing speedy assistance to women in distress, and said stakeholders will be consulted for its speedy execution.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh, while reviewing the Centre- State division of the MHA, also suggested the state police forces to involve a professional body to help them develop capacity to fight cyber crime.
The Manmohan Singh-led UPA government had on February 4, this year approved Nirbhaya (named in a memory of a girl, who was brutally gang raped in a moving bus here in December 2012) project.
Under the project, a distress or emergency alarms generated by woman by pressing a button through her mobile phones or devices would land at Police Control Room (PCR) which would immediately arrange to dispatch emergency PCR van to assist the individual.
"The Home Minister raised concern regarding the delay in kicking-off the project. It was decided that the project should be implemented in an expeditious manner.
He desired to review it personally soon with all stakeholders," said a press release issued by the MHA.
The system is to be implemented in the 114 cities.
Singh has been reviewing various divisions of the MHA and recently he had visited the Intelligence Bureau wing in the North Block.
The Home Minister was given a briefing by top officials on women`s safety issues, criminal tracking network, cyber crimes and modernisation of prisons.
While reviewing the progress of the Crimes and Criminal Network Tracking and Systems (CCTNS) Project, it was observed that even though the project was in advanced stage of implementation, few states and Union Territories like Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Haryana, Lakshadweep, Manipur and Rajasthan were still lagging far behind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you