Rajnath Singh seeks PM`s intervention in tackling Maha drought
Jalna: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Monday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to intervene in tackling the severe drought in Maharashtra.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is not serious about tackling drought. Singh should tour the drought-hit areas and give some relief to people," Rajnath told reporters at Bhakarwadi village in Jalna district of the worst-affected Marathwada region.
"It is sad that the prime minister did not utter even a single word on drought", Rajnath said.
Threatening to stall the Parliament session beginning April 22 after recess, Rajnath said, "If the government is not serious on the drought issue then we will not let the Parliament function".
Rajnath appealed to ruling Congress-NCP Democratic Front government of Maharashtra to "introspect" on the dismal rise in the irrigation potential of the state in the last decade.
"The state government spent Rs 70,000 crore on irrigation but the irrigation potential has not increased even one per cent. Where has the money gone?", he asked.
Rajnath said the Centre has released "meagre" funds to tackle drought in the state against the need of around Rs 5,000 crore.
Rajnath, accompanied by senior BJP leaders Gopinath Munde and Vinod Tawde among others, inspected the fodder camps in the village and interacted with farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!