Rajnath Singh seeks PM`s intervention in tackling Maha drought
Jalna: BJP President Rajnath Singh on Monday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to intervene in tackling the severe drought in Maharashtra.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is not serious about tackling drought. Singh should tour the drought-hit areas and give some relief to people," Rajnath told reporters at Bhakarwadi village in Jalna district of the worst-affected Marathwada region.
"It is sad that the prime minister did not utter even a single word on drought", Rajnath said.
Threatening to stall the Parliament session beginning April 22 after recess, Rajnath said, "If the government is not serious on the drought issue then we will not let the Parliament function".
Rajnath appealed to ruling Congress-NCP Democratic Front government of Maharashtra to "introspect" on the dismal rise in the irrigation potential of the state in the last decade.
"The state government spent Rs 70,000 crore on irrigation but the irrigation potential has not increased even one per cent. Where has the money gone?", he asked.
Rajnath said the Centre has released "meagre" funds to tackle drought in the state against the need of around Rs 5,000 crore.
Rajnath, accompanied by senior BJP leaders Gopinath Munde and Vinod Tawde among others, inspected the fodder camps in the village and interacted with farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya