Rajnikanth not to attend Modi swearing-in ceremony
Chennai: Tamil superstar Rajnikanth, who had been invited to attend the swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi today, will not attend the function, sources close to the actor said.
They said the actor was not in town and, therefore, would not attend the ceremony, which will see Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, among other dignitaries, grace the occasion.
The sources did not divulge any further information.
The actor`s move comes in the wake of a fringe student outfit staging a protest near his house last night, asking him to stay away from the ceremony in the light of Rajapaksa`s participation.
All political parties in Tamil Nadu, including the ruling AIADMK and also the DMK, have opposed the invitation extended to Rajapaksa.
Earlier, during his election campaign in Chennai, Modi had taken time off and met Rajnikanth at his residence.
He had extended an invitation to Rajnikanth for the swearing-in ceremony today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan