Raju hints at UGC action against Meghalaya varsity
Shillong: The University Grants Commission (UGC) may list the controversial university in Meghalaya in its website for giving fake degrees, Union Minister for Human Resources Development M Pallam Raju said in Shillong on Friday.
"As things stand, all UGC can do is to list it in its website stating that this is a university of disrepute and giving fraudulent degrees," Raju told reporters when they asked about his ministry`s stand on the alleged irregularities of the CMJ university in the state.
"You must have seen action taken against IIPM. Similarly we would be able to take action (against CMJ University). We are encouraging actions against that," Raju said.
However, to carry out such action, cooperation of the state government was needed, the minister said.
Stating that the union government is set to pass a Bill that regulates the functioning of the universities, Raju said "We are hopeful that in the coming monsoon, we will be able to pass the Bill."
"To ensure quality, state and central Governments must act in tandem, but the state should respond faster in taking actions against institutions doing malpractices," he said.
Referring to the new scheme of the HRD, the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), he said, it aimed at providing financial assistance to state governments to enable them to improve the quality of higher educational institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan