Raju hints at UGC action against Meghalaya varsity
Shillong: The University Grants Commission (UGC) may list the controversial university in Meghalaya in its website for giving fake degrees, Union Minister for Human Resources Development M Pallam Raju said in Shillong on Friday.
"As things stand, all UGC can do is to list it in its website stating that this is a university of disrepute and giving fraudulent degrees," Raju told reporters when they asked about his ministry`s stand on the alleged irregularities of the CMJ university in the state.
"You must have seen action taken against IIPM. Similarly we would be able to take action (against CMJ University). We are encouraging actions against that," Raju said.
However, to carry out such action, cooperation of the state government was needed, the minister said.
Stating that the union government is set to pass a Bill that regulates the functioning of the universities, Raju said "We are hopeful that in the coming monsoon, we will be able to pass the Bill."
"To ensure quality, state and central Governments must act in tandem, but the state should respond faster in taking actions against institutions doing malpractices," he said.
Referring to the new scheme of the HRD, the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), he said, it aimed at providing financial assistance to state governments to enable them to improve the quality of higher educational institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border