Raju meeting visitors in hospital, can attend court: CBI
Hyderabad: Satyam Computers founder B
Ramalinga Raju, main accused in the multi-crore accounting
scam, is receiving a stream of visitors in the hospital, an
indication that he is medically fit to attend the judicial
proceedings, the CBI told a special court here on Wednesday.
In violation of the court orders, persons other than
Raju`s wife and sons were allowed to meet him in the Nizam`s
Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), where the incarcerated
founder of Satyam (now Mahindra Satyam) is admitted since
early December, the CBI counsel said.
Raju`s counsel had earlier said his client was not in a
position to attend the court due to Hepatitis C-related
ailments. The court had asked the NIMS authorities to submit a
detailed report on Raju`s health. According to the NIMS, his
condition would improve in the next three to four weeks.
The CBI counsel, however, contradicted the NIMS` report
and told the court that Raju was attending to visitors every
day. The counsel submitted the details of the visitors to
support his arguments.
The hospital record shows as many as 15 persons, other
than his sons, repeatedly visited him till March 27, the CBI
said, adding the visits were made between 10.30am and 8.10pm.
"This (the record) shows Raju had more than 200 visits.
He was also able to talk to his advocates and can very well
appear in the honourable court," CBI legal advisor,
B Ravindhra Nath, told the Judge.
The NIMS, which recently submitted a report on Raju`s
health condition, said he cannot move out of the hospital as
he runs a very high risk of contracting severe infection
outside due to an extremely low WBC (white blood cells) count.
The court sought an explanation from the Police
Commissioner on the visitors` issue as the personnel posted at
the hospital are drawn from the city police.
As per the records submitted to the court by the CBI,
Raju`s sons Rama Raju and Teja Raju both visited him at the
same time on December 19, which is against the court order.
The court has allowed only one son at a time to visit Raju.
Interestingly, in spite of court`s permission, Raju`s
wife, Nandini, never visited her husband in the hospital since
his admission over three months ago, according to the visitors
list being maintained at the government-run medical facility
by the armed guards.
Meanwhile, the court posted the hearing of cases filed
by the CBI and Enforcement Directorate (ED) to April 6.
Another petition by Mahindra Satyam, seeking release of
records from CBI, will also be heard on the same day.
The multi-crore accounting fraud at the IT major came
to light in January last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Rio Olympics not to be moved or postponed: WHO
- 17 die in fire at Ukraine home for elderly
- PM Narendra Modi to visit five nations from June 4; to take up black money issue with Swiss President
- Sharks possess distinct personalities like humans
- 'Sultan' new poster: See robust Salman Khan turns 'Golden Sultan' magnifying the aura!