Raju takes charge as Civil Aviation Minister
New Delhi: Senior TDP leader Pusapati Ashok Gajapathi Raju Thursday took charge as the new Civil Aviation Minister, assuring that he would strive to create a level-playing field for all players in the crucial infrastructure sector.
"We will strive to create a level-playing field for all the players and make the aviation sector more people- oriented," he told reporters soon after the taking over charge at the ministry headquarters in Rajiv Gandhi Bhavan here.
He was accompanied by his family members including his wife, all of whom were greeted with flowers by officials.
To questions on airlines running in major losses, he said, "We will have to examine the reasons for these losses" and then find ways to check them.
"Civil aviation is a crucial infrastructure sector and it is an important portfolio," Raju said in his maiden remarks as the Minister.
Later, Pusapati got closeted with senior officials who made presentations on various aspects of the sector.
He has already held preliminary discussions with Civil Aviation Secretary Ashok Lavasa, Air India CMD Rohit Nandan, Director General Civil Aviation Prabhat Kumar and Airports Economic Regulatory Authority chairman Yashwant Bhave.
Raju, 63, hails from the royal family of Gajapathi from Vizianagaram in Andhra Pradesh and is a seven-time legislator of the state assembly who has served as finance and revenue minister in the TDP-led state governments of the late N T Rama Rao and N Chandrababu Naidu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito