Rajya Sabha adjourned over harassment of fishermen
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was adjourned till noon Thursday as AIADMK members sought an immediate reply from the government on the alleged harassment of Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy.
AIADMK and DMK members raised the issue soon after the house met for the day.
DMK member Tiruchi Siva said "harassment" of Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy was an "ongoing affair" and six such incidents had occurred over the past month.
V Maitreyan of AIADMK also expressed his concern over the matter and sought an answer from the government.
Chairman M Hamid Ansari asked Maitreyan to take his seat amid noisy scenes in the house on the issue.
As the din continued, the chairman adjourned the house till 12 noon.
Bharatiya Janata Party members M Venkaiah Naidu and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi earlier sought suspension of Question Hour to discuss the terrorist attack in Srinagar Wednesday in which five CRPF personnel were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress