Rajya Sabha adjourned over remarks against Ambedkar
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was adjourned twice Friday over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s alleged "unwarranted remarks" against Dalit icon BR Ambedkar, after a Congress member was not allowed to raise the issue.
Praveen Rashtrapal sought to raise the issue during zero hour, saying Modi had made "unwarranted" remarks against Ambedkar. But Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan prevented him from speaking.
"Sir, how can I be prevented from speaking? My name is number two in the list (of speakers)," asked Rashtrapal, who is also from Gujarat.
"The chairman has not given permission," Khan countered.
As Rashtrapal moved towards the presiding officer`s podium, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prithviraj Chavan also moved up to Khan.
As Rashtrapal continued to protest, Khan adjourned the house for 15 minutes till 12.30 pm.
When the session resumed, Khan called P Rajeeve of the Communist Party of India-Marxist to speak but Rashtrapal continued his protests.
Two minutes into the sitting, Khan adjourned the house till 2 pm.
Speaking at the launch of his book at Ahmedabad Monday, Modi reportedly said that Ambedkar embraced Buddhism instead of Islam or Christianity because these two religions did not originate in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India