Rajya Sabha adjourned over remarks against Ambedkar
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was adjourned twice Friday over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s alleged "unwarranted remarks" against Dalit icon BR Ambedkar, after a Congress member was not allowed to raise the issue.
Praveen Rashtrapal sought to raise the issue during zero hour, saying Modi had made "unwarranted" remarks against Ambedkar. But Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan prevented him from speaking.
"Sir, how can I be prevented from speaking? My name is number two in the list (of speakers)," asked Rashtrapal, who is also from Gujarat.
"The chairman has not given permission," Khan countered.
As Rashtrapal moved towards the presiding officer`s podium, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Prithviraj Chavan also moved up to Khan.
As Rashtrapal continued to protest, Khan adjourned the house for 15 minutes till 12.30 pm.
When the session resumed, Khan called P Rajeeve of the Communist Party of India-Marxist to speak but Rashtrapal continued his protests.
Two minutes into the sitting, Khan adjourned the house till 2 pm.
Speaking at the launch of his book at Ahmedabad Monday, Modi reportedly said that Ambedkar embraced Buddhism instead of Islam or Christianity because these two religions did not originate in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam