Rajya Sabha adjourned over Sohrabuddin case
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said the charges levelled by senior IPS officer Geetha Johri against the CBI in the Sohrabuddin encounter case should be investigated and demanded a debate on the issue in the Rajya Sabha.
"The Supreme Court had directed the CBI to investigate the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case as the police of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan were involved.”
"IPS officer Geetha Johri had said during investigations that the role of then Hyderabad Police Commissioner Balvinder Singh should be investigated. Now Singh has been made the monitoring authority," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He alleged that since Congress was in power in Andhra Pradesh, the investigations there in the role of the police in the Sohrabuddin encounter case were going slow.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley had raised the issue of "blatant misuse of CBI" in the Upper House. BJP forced adjournment of the Upper House on the issue
and demanded a debate on it.
"Johri has said that CBI was pressurising her. This is a gross, blatant misuse of CBI. We want a debate in Rajya Sabha on the issue," Prasad said.
He further alleged that government had made three categories under which it misuses CBI.
"Government uses CBI to bail out those close to it. Implicate those who are opposed to the government and keep the CBI sword hanging over the likes of Lalu Prasad, Mulayam Singh Yadav and Mayawati who have cases against them," Prasad said.
He listed Ottavio Quottrochi (Bofors Case), Satish Sharma (petrol pump scam), Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler (1984 riots) as those who had CBI cases but were "bailed out" by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’