Rajya Sabha bids farewell to 13 members
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday bade farewell to
13 of its members who would be completing their tenure next
month with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh joining Chairman
Hamid Ansari in lauding their services.
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley also extended his good
wishes to the retiring members, some of whom have been
Union ministers A K Antony, Anand Sharma and M S Gill are
among the members completing their tenure. While Antony has
been re-elected from Kerala, Congress has renominated Gill
from Punjab. Sharma may also return to the house.
Others retiring are Silvius Condpan and Syeda Anwara
Taimur (Assam), A Vijayaraghavan and Abdul Wahab Peevee
(Kerala), Khekiho Zhimomi (Nagaland), Matilal Sarkar (Tripura)
and Ashwani Kumar, Dharam Pal Sabharwal, Sarinder Singh Bajwa
and Naresh Gujral (Punjab).
"This House will miss some of the familiar faces," Ansari
said hoping the members will serve the people in other
capacities with same vigour.
In his message, the Prime Minister said he has been a
member of the Upper House for the last 19 years. It has a
unique character and reflects the diversity of the country.
Jaitley said despite disagreement on several areas, the
members had respect for each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing