Rajya Sabha disrupted for fourth day
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was paralysed for the fourth consecutive day on Tuesday after uproar over issues like quota for SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs and FDI in retail.
The House plunged into chaos soon after it assembled for the day with senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu raising the issue of FDI.
Chairman Hamid Ansari`s repeated plea to allow the House to function normally went unheeded and some DMK members were seen in the aisle with newspaper clippings related to the 2G issue.
Amid the din, he adjourned the House till noon barely a few minutes after it met.
When the House re-assembled, slogan shouting SP members trooped into the Well opposing any reservation for SCs/STs in government job promotions as demanded by BSP.
As they kept chanting "promotion mein arakshan, nahi chalega, nahi chalega" (no reservation in promotion), some members from the treasury bench, led by Praveen Rashtrapal (Cong), came to the aisle countering them.
Members of UPA ally DMK also rushed to the aisle with newspaper clippings on the issue of recent disclosures by a former CAG official in 2G case. Their party colleague, former Telecom Minister A Raja, had to resign on the 2G issue.
BJP members were also on their feet apparently demanding discussion and voting on FDI in retail. But, they were not audible.
PJ Kurien, who was in the Chair, asked members to lay papers and as unruly scenes continued, he adjourned the House for the day.
Meanwhile, Lok Sabha has been adjourned till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’