Rajya Sabha disrupted for fourth day
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was paralysed for the fourth consecutive day on Tuesday after uproar over issues like quota for SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs and FDI in retail.
The House plunged into chaos soon after it assembled for the day with senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu raising the issue of FDI.
Chairman Hamid Ansari`s repeated plea to allow the House to function normally went unheeded and some DMK members were seen in the aisle with newspaper clippings related to the 2G issue.
Amid the din, he adjourned the House till noon barely a few minutes after it met.
When the House re-assembled, slogan shouting SP members trooped into the Well opposing any reservation for SCs/STs in government job promotions as demanded by BSP.
As they kept chanting "promotion mein arakshan, nahi chalega, nahi chalega" (no reservation in promotion), some members from the treasury bench, led by Praveen Rashtrapal (Cong), came to the aisle countering them.
Members of UPA ally DMK also rushed to the aisle with newspaper clippings on the issue of recent disclosures by a former CAG official in 2G case. Their party colleague, former Telecom Minister A Raja, had to resign on the 2G issue.
BJP members were also on their feet apparently demanding discussion and voting on FDI in retail. But, they were not audible.
PJ Kurien, who was in the Chair, asked members to lay papers and as unruly scenes continued, he adjourned the House for the day.
Meanwhile, Lok Sabha has been adjourned till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch