Rajya Sabha disrupted over Modi, coal files
New Delhi: Proceedings in the Rajya Sabha were repeatedly disrupted on Wednesday due to uproar over demand for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s resignation and missing coal files, on which BJP targeted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The House was adjourned four times in the pre-lunch sitting because of slogan shouting from both ruling and the opposition benches.
As soon as the House met for the day, some Congress members were on their feet displaying banners that read "Chief Minister Gujarat Must Resign" in the wake of charges levelled by suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara.
Vanzara, who resigned yesterday, has accused Narendra Modi government of having failed to protect the jailed police officers who fought against "Pakistan-inspired terrorism".
To counter the Congress members, BJP MPs led by Ravi Shankar Prasad raised the issue of CBI investigating officer reportedly wanting to question the Prime Minister in connection with the controversial coal block allocations when he held the charge of coal ministry between 2006 and 2009.
SP members raised the issue of giving reservation in promotions in government jobs. BSP members too shouted slogans but nothing could be heard in the din. TDP members raised banners against division of Andhra Pradesh.
Chairman Hamid Ansari asked members to take their seats and called for laying of papers. "No banners please," he said.
With members in no mood to relent, he adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
When the House reassembled, SP members trooped into the Well shouting slogans for reservation in promotions. BSP members too joined them in slogan shouting.
Adding to the din, BJP members raised the issue of missing coal files.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurein, who was in the Chair, then adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'