Rajya Sabha expresses outrage over growing rape cases

Rajya Sabha on Tuesday expressed outrage over growing incidents of rape in the country.

New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday expressed outrage over growing incidents of rape in the country with a demand being made to give capital punishment to culprits and dismissal of Congress government in Haryana over the rape and murder of a 20-year-old Dalit girl in Jind.

Government also came under sharp attack for "inaction" on such issues.

The recent incidents of the rape of a Dalit girl in Jind in Haryana and that of a woman constable in Jharkhand was raised by members, who also made references to rape cases happening in Delhi and Maharashtra.

Incidentally, all these states are ruled by Congress either alone or in alliance with regional parties.

As members rued that despite their raising such issues repeatedly in the House, action is not forthcoming and the government is not responding, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla said government was ready for discussion on the issue provided members give notices.

Najma Heptulla (BJP) said no judgement is coming on the South Delhi gangrape case even though it was being heard by a Fast Track Court. "What is the Fast Track Court doing? It`s a Slow Track court...I think government should take serious note of this," she said.

She felt that despite the amendments brought in the law to provide stringent punishment to perpetrators of such crimes, the message of a tough legislation has not gone down among such people and "they are not scared".

Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said "the House is one in condemning this heinous crime (Jind rape case)" and would request Government to ensure that the "severest punishment" be given to the culprits." He said government should come back to the House to tell what action has been taken.

Praful Patel, who was the only minister present in the House, said, he will convey to the Home Minister the sentiments of the House.

"Even if it involves any state government, we will ask the Government of India to talk to the concerned state," he said.