Rajya Sabha members seek details of destroyed files from govt
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha members on Monday sought details from Home Minister Rajnath Singh on the files destroyed by the home ministry, and called his statement presented in the house vague.
Members quoting reports had sought explanation from the home minister on 1.5 Lakh files destroyed by his ministry. Rajnath Singh in a statement to the upper house Friday said only 11,100 files have been destroyed in a cleaning drive.
"The statement given by the home minister is vague. The minister must give the details of the files destroyed," Janata Dal-United leader K.C. Tyagi said seeking clarifications on the home minister`s statement.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) questioned the method of destroying the files.
"Less than 45 seconds was taken on deciding on every file. Was it pre-decided? That is why allegation of trying to rewrite history is made," Sitaram Yechury said.
"India is the only country which has no rules on transferring the files to national archives. We can find files of Mughal era, and British period, but not of Independent India," he said.
Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad questioned if the files were recorded electronically.
"Micro filming of the files could have been done," Azad said.
The members also pointed out to the home minister`s statement where he said no files related to Mahatma Gandhi`s assassination were destroyed, and questioned if some other historic files were destroyed.
"Were any other historic files destroyed?" asked Azad.
Sukhendu Shekhar Roy of Trinamool Congress questioned if there were any documents related to Subhash Chandra Bose that were destroyed.
The home minister in a statement to Rajya Sabha Friday said: "...a total of 11,100 files were destroyed, during the period 05.06.2014 to 08.07.2014".
"I would like to inform the august House that none of the 11,100 files so destroyed, relate to Mahatma Gandhi`s assassination," the home minister had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan